Careers - Information for Parents/Carers
CEIAG (Careers Education Information Advice Guidance) is fundamental in helping a young person reach their full potential and realise their dreams. At The Laurel Academy we understand the importance of providing your child with bespoke and meaningful careers guidance and it is for that reason that we provide a number of opportunities for your child to explore different careers options throughout their academic life.
Starting to thinking about life after school can be a very exciting but also daunting process for your child. However, there are a number of simple and easy steps that you can take towards supporting your child in making decisions that will essentially shape their future.
1. Talk to your son or daughter about their current academic progress and attainment – encourage them to work hard now in order to reap the rewards in the future. Encourage them to aim high and follow their dreams.
2. Following this, discuss their ambitions for the future, together you could research potential career paths. If you are unsure then please contact the academy and our qualified careers guidance counsellor Gemma Dobson will be on hand to help.
3. Encourage them to gain work experience in the careers that they’re interested in or speak to groups/individuals working in this field.
4. The CareersINC website offers some excellent practical advice https://www.careersinc.uk/delta-thelaurel/parents-carers/
5. Finally, you are welcome to attend your child’s careers meeting that takes place in the academy.
Together with a range of career professionals, businesses and training providers we will support your son’s/daughter’s career development in a number of ways including:
* Information and discussion in lessons and assemblies to help them make decisions about your future.
* Activities and events such as employability days.
* Access to careers advisers in a variety of ways including individual meetings, drop-in sessions, enrichment activities, parents and option evenings and on results days.
* Careers information and computer-based careers programmes.
* Information and updates on notice boards, plasma screens and websites.